LSA Research and Enterprise Development Fund
news / April 9, 2020
We are pleased to announce the call for applications for the next round is now open. The deadline is 15 May 2020 (a further call will be announced later with a deadline of 30 Sept).
This scheme is open to LSA members only and the application form can be found on the Members area by logging in to the website with your username and password.
The LSA is pleased to offer the Research and Enterprise Development Fund, to provide a source of funding to promote both the Leisure Studies Association, and the study of Leisure more broadly. Proposals are invited from existing LSA membersin the following categories:
- A research support fund, to support the undertaking of high quality research related to the scope and aims of the LSA.
- A research dissemination fund, to provide support to LSA members to disseminate their work beyond that of ‘traditional’ peer reviewed outlets, not only to other academics interested in the study of leisure, but also to practitioners, policy makers and other interested audiences.
- An enterprise fund, to provide support for enterprising or social entrepreneurial activities related to the scope and aims of the LSA.
The types of things that may be considered under each category are as follows:
(1) Research support fund
A range of activities directly related to research activities will be considered, such as travel, fieldwork, networking, and data analysis. Attendance at conferences will not be funded.
(2) Research dissemination fund
Support for any dissemination activity will be considered, such as hosting one-day conferences, seminars, workshops and ‘virtual’ dissemination activities. Activities that involve practitioners, policy makers and non-academic audiences are encouraged.
(3) Enterprise fund
To support any enterprising or social entrepreneurial activities/ideas/events that promote and enhance the scope and aims of the LSA. The fund is particularly keen to support those activities/ideas that use leisure as a vehicle to promote, in their broadest definition, social justice, community development and peace. Applications that have an element of match funding attached to them will also be looked at particularly favourably.
Guidance for Applicants
- The maximum amount that will be awarded is £2000. There is no minimum amount.
- Proposals which incorporate elements of two or more of the categories are also encouraged.
- The LSA may award a partial amount from that requested.
- Preference will be given to applications that have additional or match-funding.
- Proposals must use the application form below.
Applications will be judged by a panel of at least three current LSA Executive Committee members, who will be appointed by the LSA Executive Committee.
Please consider and address the judging criteria carefully and explicitly:
- The clarity and coherence of proposed activity (30%)
- Originality and creativity (30%).
- The extent to which the proposal is seen to promote and benefit the LSA as a learned society and/or leisure studies more broadly (30%)
- Realistic costings/budget (and with, where appropriate, evidence of match funding) (10%)
These will be emailed to members and available on the LSA website. Applications should be emailed in word format to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm GMT on 15 May 2020.
- Any changes to planned expenditure must be agreed by LSA beforehand.
- If subsistence is claimed, this should be claimed at the normal rate of the applicant’s host institution, and clearly itemised on the application. Alcohol will not be reimbursed
- All expenditure must be for the applicant only unless agreed by the LSA beforehand.
- Unless otherwise agreed beforehand, all funds will be reimbursed to the applicant, rather than paid up front.
- Funds should be spent within 12 months of the award unless agreed beforehand.